Regional history, historic automobiles and hands-on science are major features of the Sloan Museum. Dramatic settings, video programs and hundreds of artifacts and photographs portray the area’s tumultuous 20th century history in the Flint and the American Dream exhibit. Traveling exhibits fill the Temporary Gallery with a variety of educational and entertaining displays year-round. The Buick Automotive Gallery presents major automotive exhibits featuring vehicles from the Sloan fleet of over 80 Flint-built automobiles.
From fur trading and pioneer life, to lumbering, carriage making, and the automobile boom of General Motors, the Alfred P. Sloan Museum brings history, culture, and technology to life for the entire family. Explore the newest gallery, Wisner's Whizbang Emporium, where you will reminisce and wonder at toys from the past while spending time with your favorite kids. Also enjoy a variety of special lectures and workshops for adults and children.
The Sloan Museum’s collections trace their history to the Genesee County Historical Society’s origins in the 1860s. In 1920 when the Historical Society disbanded, the collections were turned over to the Flint Board of Education for a museum display in a building occupied by Flint Junior College. When the Historical Society reorganized in 1946, the collections were returned and the Society moved its exhibits to the Genesee County Court House. From the outset of their second era, the Society sought a permanent historical museum.
In 1952, the greater Flint community began planning for a College and Cultural Center. Funds were secured to build seven independent cultural facilities in a park-like setting east of downtown Flint.
Two museums were planned for the new Cultural Center – a transportation museum and a local history museum. Due to the prohibitive costs of separate museums, campaign leaders decided to combine the two themes in a single facility. The Genesee County Historical Society donated its collections to the new museum, named for longtime President and Chairman of the Board of General Motors, Alfred P. Sloan, and early donor to the Cultural Center project. The Alfred P. Sloan Museum opened in 1966.